Monday, October 13, 2008

Charity

What is Charity?

When you give all of yourself, asking nothing in return, is that charity?

When you lend a helping hand to a needy person, is that charity?

I've constantly reminded myself to perform charitable acts, to give a portion of my earnings to Charitable Organisations, is that charity?

As I watched the President's Star Chariy Show "http://5.mediacorptv.sg/programmesdetail.aspx?iid=MDC080923-0000003" on tv last night, I found myself weeping like a child. Many people on the show (and I'm sure, many people watching the show) felt sorry for the "unfortunates". Personally, I dislike to refer to these people as needy, I feel that they are merely people who have more challanges in life than me. I admire their strength and determination, compassion and the ability to be grateful for all that they have.

As I dialled the numbers on my cell-phone to donate a small token, I asked myself : Was my donation a charitable act? No, it was a token of appreciation for their charitable act. They have humbled me by showing the virtue of life, the goodness of man and the joy of giving. They have given me more than I could repay.

No comments: